Tuesday, December 10, 2013

gifts of words.

I love gift giving. I like it more than gift receiving. Here are some ideas for the book lovers in your world.

The first is a cookbook. So this would also be a good gift even if your gift recipient doesn't love books (tell me again why you are hanging out with them?) but does love good and healthy recipes. I am not a vegan. I eat gluten and pork and sugar and veggies and dairy. But I have followed Angela Liddon's blog, Oh She Glows for years and it was her blog that inspired me to eat a more healthy diet and seek out healthy (but not crazy) alternatives. I'm pretty sure it even made an impact to get me started in running. It's been a life changer for me.

I've really made some delicious things from her recipes. Regular mainstays for me are her "rolos" made with dates (seriously, very very good), frosty no-bake glow cakes (oats and banana and nut butter and chocolate....how can that not be good?), overnight oats, green monster smoothies (it was from her that I discovered adding greens - my preference is spinach - to smoothies are healthy and you positively cannot taste it (at least you can't taste spinach - I've tried with kale and I can definitely taste bitterness)!

Her book is available for pre-order here (also avail in Canada.) I should add that her photography is positively lovely too.


I have never made my love for my hometown of New York a secret. I'm obsessed. I miss it every day and I cry whenever I see B roll shots in any movie or TV show. Recently The Mindy Project had me bawling. You can blame pregnancy hormones, but it has happened before - often. I plan to retire back there. Just biding my time to 65. Another blog, Humans of New York gives me a little bit of home when I need it, by way of poignant photos and glimpses into the lives of New Yorkers. Finally a book:


A contemporary author that I've loved is the great Canadian Margaret Atwood. Have a friend in need of some good reading? Maybe an escape? I recommend the Oryx and Crake trilogy. "Trilogy" makes it sound like it's one of those trending YA series, but it's not. It's dystopianism at its finest (if you can really have a "fine" dystopia...) along with some extremely fine writing. The Year of the Flood and MaddAddam round out the trio.


I'd also recommend books by Japanese author, Banana Yoshimoto; anything by Ruth Ozeki; Donna Tartt's new book, The Goldfinch (her other books are good ones too); and perhaps anything from the McSweeney's store.

2 comments:

Joyce Polance said...

I'm the same way about NY. I miss it so much. And a little stevia goes a long way in a green smoothie with kale!

Kate said...

You introduced me to HONY and I love that they now have a book.