Tuesday, May 13, 2014

hungry monkey

Now that I am a mom, of a steadily aging and growing baby, I read books about babies. Books for babies. And books that masquerade as memoir but to me are really self-help. The latter, I'm truly enjoying. I liked Catherine Newman's Waiting for Birdy and I liked my most recent read, Matthew Amster-Burton's Hungry Monkey. The latter is a "food-loving father's quest to raise an adventurous eater."

And he mostly does. Iris is now four and enjoys spicy Szechuan noodles. But also plain noodles. She is particular about her bacon, but not her chicken nuggets. I think this is the best we can hope for with children in the modern world. I certainly operate that way. Organic if I can. But sometimes, like the author, I appreciate Kraft mac & cheese. Call it nostalgia. This particular memoir took place in Seattle, where I live, so it was fun to read up on his local references on where to buy mackerel or the secret bakery, or the like.

It was funny too. The book is written rather conversationally. Amster-Burton, I'm guessing is about my age (a woman never reveals her age!) and I felt I could be friends with the guy. It's an easy read, including recipes and little kitchen-hacks. It also opens with his great hopes to introduce his daughter to a fantastic meal at the start, but accidentally drops a donut (donut? doughnut?) crumb in her mouth. Yeah, I get it. I live down the street from Top Pot Doughnuts.

This is G. At Top Pot. I'm tempted. That (raspberry glazed) donut is bigger than her head.
Baby G is just 3.5 months old right now, but they say you can star feeding them food at 4-6 months. I'm not itching to get started, but there is something fun about adding a new adventure into our lives. I'll be buying a drop-cloth soon and have already squashed a little banana between my fingers and had her lick them. She seemed to enjoy it, but then again, a banana is hardly the culinary piece de resistance you might think it is. Maybe I'll just have to drop a Top Pot crumb in her mouth accidentally.